If you need a new roof or roof repairs at your Durham, North Carolina, home, the quality of the materials used and craftsmanship will determine how long it lasts. We encourage you to compare your options before choosing a roofing company and gain an understanding of not just the cost—but the materials, quality of work, and warranties offered for your home’s roof. After all, a structurally sound roof protects your home’s exterior and interior. Thurston Roof is a licensed, insured Durham roofer. We welcome your questions about roof inspection, repair, or replacement.
Durham, NC Roof Inspection
A roof inspection is an evaluation of your roof’s condition. During a roof inspection at your Durham, NC, home, our roofing professionals will walk your home’s roof to ensure it is structurally sound. Roof shingles are only one factor that can affect a roof’s lifespan. What is beneath and around the shingles matters. While inspecting your Durham home, we examine the following:
Chimney, skylights, vents – Check for signs of moisture around fixtures
Eaves, fascia, and soffits – Check for cracks, warping, or other damage
Flashing – Examine the thin metal strips that seal out water around roof fixtures, such as vents or a chimney
Grout – Look for cracks or crumbling from leaks or moisture buildup
Gutters and downspouts – Ensure they are are not clogged, cracked, or damaged
Moss growth – Check for moss overgrowth that can trap moisture and damage shingles
Shingles – Look for damaged or missing shingles
The National Roofing Contractor’s Association recommends biannual roof inspections to detect cracks or leaks before they lead to costly damage. Read our roof inspection page for details. We will give you a report of our inspection findings, which may include roof repair or replacement recommendations.
Durham, NC Roof Repair
Roof repair is repairing damaged materials on an otherwise sound roof. The roof’s age, the extent of damage, and its overall condition help determine whether we recommend roof repair versus getting a new roof for your Durham, NC, home.
Factors that can lead to roof repair include:
- Storm damage. Heavy rainfall, hail, strong winds, and debris can damage or blow off shingles or puncture a roof.
- Age of the roof. A roof can last 20 years or more. Regular maintenance can extend a roof’s lifespan, but with exposure to the elements and wear and tear, your Durham home will eventually need a new roof.
- Irregular maintenance. Clogged gutters and pine straw and leaves left on a roof trap moisture in roof shingles and cause deterioration.
- Improper installation. An incorrectly installed roof can leak. Also, if a home’s roof has layers of old shingles, damage to the underlayment or roof deck will go unchecked and can lead to costly repairs.
Thurston Roof will honestly evaluate whether roof repair or replacement makes sense economically and for the safety of your home.
Durham Roof Replacement
Roof replacement is getting a new roof and ensuring the shingles and layers beneath them are structurally sound. Roof replacement at your Durham, NC home from Thurston Roof begins with an inspection of the materials and fixtures of your roof to assess their condition.
You can expect the following:
- Roof inspection. We will inspect your roof, including the shingles, the materials beneath them, and roof fixtures, such as skylights, vents, and the chimney. Afterward, we will give you an estimate for a new roof for your Durham home.
- Shingle removal. After removing old shingles and underlayment, we will inspect the roof deck for water damage or rot.
- Deck repairs or replacement. We will repair or replace damaged wood in the roof deck.
- Roof installation. We will install synthetic underlayment, drip edge, ice and water shield, and GAF HDZ Timberline architectural shingles.
- Debris removal. We will remove roof debris around your property and haul it away.
Visit our roof replacement page for details about the service.
Durham Roofing Services with Warranties
We are honored to provide roofing services for your Durham, NC, home. At Thurston Roof, we understand that a new roof is an investment that affects your home’s value and energy efficiency. We never use cheap materials or take shortcuts. You can be confident that you will get value—superior service and lifetime warranties on our craftsmanship and the roof shingles. Call or text us today with questions or to get a quote.